History of Barker Kindergarten
Barker Kindergarten was built in 1926 by Mrs E.S. Barker and Miss E.K. Barker, and donated to the Kindergarten Union in memory of Mrs Barker's husband Mr Alfred Barker and his father Mr John Barker.
The first Mr Barker sailed to Adelaide on the "Rapid" with the first settlers here. In 1926 the "Little Citizen's Free Kindergarten" transferred from Archer Street to Barker, and adopted a similar program to the one which had been running in Archer Street.
They used the Montessori method of teaching, with a hot lunch, a sleep, and care and learning given by the Director and staff until the children went home at 2.00pm. In 1951 the tiny cottage on the western side of the kindergarten was purchased, and demolished to provide a large area for outdoor activities.
This information has been taken from the document "A Short History of Barker free Kindergarten" by Mrs Win Frame, written in May 1982. A copy of the entire document is available for interested people to read at the kindergarten.
|Download||File Size||File Type|
|Heritage and History of Barker Kindergarten||1313 KB||Adobe PDF|
NOTE: All downloads open in a new browser window